- To use your own custom domain first you need to add it to your RocketLink account. To do that go to your Settings>Domains tab or log in to your RocketLink account and go to this LINK. Then Click "New custom domain" button and fill in the form.
HINT: Custom domain URL cannot contain http or https or any slashes. Your custom domain URL should contain only lower case characters.
- Right way: 'links.yoursite.com'
- Wrong way: 'https://links.YourSite.com'
The subdomain doesn't have to be 'links'. It's only an example. It can be any phrase you find appropriate for your brand, or even a single character like 's' ('s.yourbrand.com'). Most popular subdomains that brands use are:
- 's' stands for 'Share' ('s.mybrand.org' or 'share.mybrand.org')
- 'l' stands for 'Link(s)' ('l.facebrand.com' or 'link.facebrand.com')
As you can see, there are a lot of possibilities and depending on your branding and marketing strategy I'm sure you will find the perfect one.
2. Choose the brand name and click "SAVE".
HINT: To use your custom domain with RocketLink's web browser extensions, you need to have at least one pixel added to your account with the brand name matching precisely the custom domain's brand.
3. In order to use your own branded URL’s, you need to create CNAME record in your DNS, wherever your domain is managed. Follow this guide to do it:
- Sign into your domain provider's dashboard (or if you have the nameservers pointed at a web hosting provider, you should apply these changes there)
- Go to your DNS Management page
- Find the CNAME record settings
- Create a new CNAME record
- Enter a value for your sub-domain in the host field. For example, if you’re using ‘share.yoursite.com’ you’ll enter ‘share’ here.
- In the ‘CNAME‘ field, type ‘rocketlink.linj.clearalias.com‘.
- Save the changes.
- According to most DNS providers changes of your CNAME records can take up to 24-48 hrs to propagate. It is usually t If you encounter any problems contact your DNS provider.
- If you're using Cloudflare you need to turn off the HTTP Proxy for your custom subdomain (there should be an orange cloud icon that needs to be clicked and turn gray).
- If you'd like to register a domain especially for the purpose of lin shortening and don't want to use a subdomains please go to this TUTORIAL.